Google+

Wednesday 2 April 2014

Ants and Avoiding the Cameras: Pangaea at the Saatchi Gallery


I'm not really sure how I managed to get an invite to the preview opening of this exhibition at the Saatchi Gallery. I think perhaps I have attended another one with a far more fabulousssss friend and I'm now on the mailing list. Didn't even realise it was quite such a big thing until I had to avoid the Tatler Bystander cameras. Well-aware that there was no way that they would put me anywhere near their online gallery with all the beauties and hipsters and just achingly cool people that were around, I didn't want to risk it anyway.


Unfortunately, I am not one of those career bloggers who looks ab fab all the time... Unfortunately, I work full-time and write and do about a million other things, that mostly I look at best "quirky" with a pallid complexion and no blow dry... Oh for the luxury of having two hours to get ready for a half an hour trip to a gallery opening. I'm not looking down on this, I would if I could.

The Saatchi Gallery

Having avoided the cameras and swiping my free glass of champagne (I had two), I actually had a chance to look at the exhibition and it is very good. Very bold and colourful, with very dark undertones, prone to make someone like me furiously research the artists and their backgrounds when I got home. I have taken a lot of pictures in my new role as Art Blogger extraordinaire (Please invite me back Saatchi) and I will try my best to point you in the way of the artists for each of them. 

First, the famous ants that you are seeing all over the papers. This piece is Casa Tomada, 2013, Rafael Gómezbarros (Resin, Fiber Glass, Madera, Screen Cotton, Cuerda Arenas, Cerrejón Coal).




What I didn't realise is that each ant is made from two human skulls.....

Then came the wonderfully emotive and colourful pieces by Aboudia. My favourite being Untitled, which is the first one below and Daloa 29, below that. After seeing these paintings, it is not surprising to hear that the artist lived through violence following political disparity, in his cityAbidjan during which he took refuge in an underground studio.

Untitled, 2011 (Acrylic and mixed media on canvas, 76 x 237cm (each canvas))


Daloa 29, 2011 (Acrylic and mixed media on canvas, 180 x 400 cm)




I just liked the colour behind this. Apparently, the artist, who is Brazilian, loves jazz and you can sort of tell that. It was a set of two, but I only took a picture of one (Good Art Blogger, I am)

 Antonio Malta Campos, Figures in Red #2, 2004 (Oil on canvas, 230 x 360 cm)

This artist is fun and kind of trippy..

Boris Nzebo, Auburge du Boulot Noir, 2013 
(Acrylic on canvas,150 x 130 cm)

You know the desks at school but way, way more arty....

José Lerma, Madre Perla V-11, 2011 (Acrylic on canvas, keyboard, guiro, 244 x 458cm)

Cats and traffic, I get that...

David Koloane, The Night Has A Thousand Eyes, 2007-8 (Mixed media on paper, 128 x 300 cm)

David Koloane, Mass Movement I, 2010 
(Mixed media on paper, 215.5 x 109 cm)

The Mozambique photographerMário Macilau is a social documentary photographer and his images are extremely powerful:
  
My Toy

Children of Jesus

Peace

This made me feel like I was at war...It was a wall installation peace by Ghanaian artist, Ibrahim Mahama, Untitled, 2013 (Draped jute sacks wall installation, Dimensions variable). It was pretty powerful.





Bright and fun were the many works of Vincent Michea included in the exhibition.






Oscar Murillo might be my favourite in terms of art that you feel, as its just so transformative and un-fixed and I like the dirty aspect of it. Selected pieces below:


Random but beautiful...


And this was made with dirt...



Go see the exhibition anyway, it's well worth it.


Bye for now... art crowd...

DETAILS:

Pangaea: New Art from Africa and Latin America
2 April 2014 - 31 August 2014

At:
Duke of York's HQ
King's Road
LondonSW3 4RY


@saatchi_gallery

Opening hours: 10am-6pm, 7 days a week, last entry 5:30pm

No comments:

Post a Comment