Google+

Friday 25 October 2013

Fashion on Friday: Channelling Clueless

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0112697/
Back in 1995, Director Amy Heckerling led a young cast in a little American teen film based on the classic Jane Austen novel, Emma. Alicia Silverstone led a young cast of good-looking teens as a very rich, very attractive teenager with a computerised wardrobe, a dead mother and the same problems with cliques and boys that all teenage girls have. The script was funny, the lines very quotable, but it was the lifestyle and wardrobes of these teens which seized the young British imagination.

I was aged nine when it was released and barely interested in boys and fashion, puppies and ponies were my thing at this stage. In fact, I didn't seen the film until two years later, at boarding school with mass of other girls, many older than me who said it was "like" the best film ever.

For an awkward pre-pubescent, spotty and swotty eleven-year old, it was an impossibly glamorous other world. It was America, where teenagers drove Jeeps, the boys looked like movie stars and you actually knew Gay people. At the time I wasn't all too sure about Cher's fashion sense and choice in clothing for both herself and her friends. Partial to a baggy trouser and a combat at the time, I believed that her friend Tai looked before the makeover in her grungy gears. In fact the only outfit I really liked was her red "This is an Alaia" dress, a classic nineties, strappy, clingy number that made her look like no 16-year-old I'd ever seen in real life.

18 years later and 18 years of watching the film and quoting the film over and over, I finally love that nineties, preppy Americana look. As the decade has surreptitiously crawled back into our fashion heads over the last few years from chunky boot to matching accessories and all other forms of fray, we are finally in a full on revival from Vogue to Primark. I am now coveting a full on Cher look and despite age and colouring it may now be the time to wear a matching yellow tartan two-piece... or maybe not.

However, I'm inspired to outline some of the best looks from the film and items that seemingly take inspiration from the look in our stores today.
Cher: It’s like that book I read in the 9th grade that said, “‘Tis a far, far better thing doing stuff for other people.”

ASOS, Black Beret £10.00
Primark AW13, Dress £13.00

Cher: So, OK. I don't wanna be a traitor to my generation and all, but I don't get how guys dress today. I mean, c'mon, it looks like they just fell out of bed and put on some baggy pants, and take their greasy hair—ew—and cover it up with a backwards cap and, like, we're expected to swoon? I don't think so!
 


ASOS, Daisy Street Tartan Mini Skirt £19.99


ASOS, Over-the-Knee Socks £5.00
Cher: He does dress better than I do, what would I bring to the relationship?
 



New Look, Burghundy High-Neck Cropped Jumper £17.99


Zara, Striped Shirt £25.99

Accessorize, Woven Chain Alice Band £8.00
Tai: Why should I listen to you, anyway? You’re a virgin who can’t drive. 
Cher: That was way harsh, Tai.


London Loves LA, White Lace Taylor Dress £34.00
Murray: Your man Christian is a cake boy! 
Cher and Dionne: (together) A what? 
Murray: He’s a disco-dancing, Oscar Wilde-reading, Streisand ticket-holding friend of Dorothy, know what I’m saying?
 So I couldn't find anything like this, as much as I tried... but I love this jacket..
ASOS, Barbour Tartan Liddesdale Jacket, £179.00
Thanks for reading.


No comments:

Post a Comment